Moving Locally: Hassle-Free or a Headache?«« Move For Hunger Resources June 19, 2017 | 11:16 am |
Often times when people think of moving, they think of cross-country or international relocation. While people move all over the world for a multitude of reasons, many people opt to move several miles down the road and move locally. The idea of moving within your community may sound like a total breeze, as people tend to forget that a local move involves many of the same aspects as any long distance move would. If you are contemplating moving cross-country or simply down the street, here are some of the challenges and benefits of a local move to think about.
• Overestimating how simple the move will be: If you are only moving to a different part of the neighborhood, you may be tempted to save a few bucks, opt out of a moving service and load up your car yourself. While this sounds like a great idea on paper, when push comes to shove, it is very likely some items will be forgotten along the way as you load an reload your car for what seems like the hundredth time. Do yourself and your sanity a favor, just hire a professional company to handle the move for you.
• Out with the old in the with new: Many times people who move locally have a hard time realizing that although they are only relocating several miles, they are indeed changing up their living situation completely. Yes, the location may be similar, but the layout of your new living space will likely not be an exact replica of your old home, meaning you will have to move some things around in order to find out what works best for you.
• A clean slate: No matter how organized a person you may consider yourself to be, everyone has that one drawer or closet that seems to attract junk or clutter despite all efforts to keep it clean. With moving locally, you get the ability to finally clean out that drawer, closet or shed you’ve been pushing off for so long! Once you go through the hassle of cleaning it out, you will likely be inspired to be tidier in your next home and fend off the dreaded “junk drawer” phenomena.
• Clean Slate 2.0: Going off of the previous point, moving allows you the ability to switch things up! Perhaps try out some new funky decor or switch your furniture around, the options are endless. Now is the time to try your hand at interior decorating as you have an entire empty home to design, all at your disposal.
• Friendly faces new and old: Moving locally allows you simplicity of keeping up with local friends and easy access to your favorite hometown eateries, all while providing you with a chance to meet new people within your community! A local move is a win-win situation because you get the ease of keeping local contacts with the possibility of exploring new aspects of your neighborhood!
For more information on whether a local move is right for you, head on over to Stevens Worldwide Van Lines!