Lighten the Load Before you Move!«« Move For Hunger Resources June 22, 2017 | 1:24 pm |
Moving is the perfect opportunity to clear out those excess belongings. Check out these tips on how to host a garage sale.
Figure out logistics
• Be aware of any restrictions in your town for garage sales. See if there are any laws about when/where/how to hold them.
• Figure out the best location and time of your sale. Think about the community when picking a time. Know about community events to avoid conflicts.
• Hang up posters around town or print fliers to hand out. Make sure the date, time, and address are clearly labeled. Try to make the advertisements eye-catching with bright colors or catchy phrases.
Know your stuff
• Before you begin packing, take inventory of your belongings. What items are essential to your move? Do you still need that Frisbee you got at a work conference? A garage sale is the perfect cleanse for your new life in a new home.
Organize the sale
• Gather shelves or racks to display your belongings on. You want your potential buyers to see all that you have to offer.
• Try bundling some items for a bigger value.
• Set prices before you set up
• Be reasonable with prices because you are essentially just trying to pack lighter.
• Put price tags on the items so you have a starting point for people to bargain with. It is suggested that you mark items at 20-30% of their original price.
Sell, sell, sell!
• Have fun with your sale!
• Bargain with your customers and just try to make some sort of a profit. Use your profits to fill your new home with some exciting things.